Friday, April 13, 2012

" . . . For it's Root, Root, Root for the Home Team . . ."

1 Corinthians 15:57
But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Growing up, my mom is a huge, and mean HUGE, fan of the Boston Red Sox.  While her sister's wall of their shared room is covered with photos of handsome movie stars, Mom's is plastered with the faces of Red Sox players.

Some of the greatest to have ever played the game.

Joe Cronin.  Bobby Doerr.  Johnny Pesky.

The legendary Ted Williams.

One of Mom's most treasured memories from her youth is the day her father drives her to Boston to see the team play at the famous Fenway Park.  Oh, what a thrill!  Especially, in the days before television, when all one has is the radio.

Mom listens to every game she can.  Follows every play.  Even keeps stats!

So, imagine her excitement when her beloved "BoSox" go to the World Series.

The year is 1946.  The team has not won a World Series match up since 1918.

She is beside herself with hope that this will be the year it happens.  The Big Win!  The Victory!

But, it is not to be . . .

It is the seventh and last game.  The last inning.  Tied.

With Cardinal player, Enos Slaughter, at third.  Poised to run to home plate.

CRACK!

Ball flies just over shortstop, Johnny Pesky's, head into left field.  Chased down by Leon Culberson.  Thrown to Pesky.

Who hesitates . . . Just.  For.  One.  Second.

Slaughter scores.

Cardinals win.

Mom cries her eyes out.

"Well," her father observes, "I guess after this game, you won't be a Sox fan anymore."

Mom looks at him in disbelief.

"I'll always be a Red Sox fan!"  She declares, stomping her foot for emphasis.  "Win or lose, I don't care!  The are the best team ever!  They'll win next year.  You'll see!"
~
In our World Series called life, we win some and we lose some.  But, as Christians, we know we will be winners in the end.  For, Christ conquered death and, through Him, because of Him, the final victory is ours.
~
Will you thank Jesus today for conquering the grave and giving you the victory?

Will you join me in prayer?
We can endure the storms and losses in this life, Father, for we know we are saved in Christ.  In facing trials and troubles, let us always remember that He paid the ultimate price to secure us the victory of everlasting life.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 136 or 118
Exodus 13:1-2, 11-16
1 Corinthians 15:51-58
Luke 24:1-12 

 

17 comments:

  1. I'm a big Yankee fan from Montana...Plan on attending games in May...9,10,11...Just check some good tickets . If Boston Red Sox will win the 8th World Series title, then there will be a parade at World Series Way in Boston in this route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ney, it's great to see you here!
      Wow! That is a long way to go to see those games. You surely are a dedicated fan!
      Thanks for stopping by today.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. Hi Martha:
    Knew there was some other reason we connected, Martha! I was born wearing Red Sox. Been to EVERY opening day game at Fenway since 2003. This is the first year I won't be going. :-( Been through all the lows and OMG! Were there ever some lows. Been through the highs too.

    Go Red Sox!
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Chris! You're kidding me? Yes! Isn't it marvelous that God connects us in so many ways and, as you have written so many times, we need to SEE these connections in our lives.
      Personally, I don't follow baseball as much as I used to, but, living in Atlanta, I guess you could call me a Braves fan. Hey! They used to be the Boston Braves! Another connection? :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Martha, your story is one of truth in probably everyone's life. We experience loss, where in reality, it is really not a loss...it's more that it is not a significant win. How life goes really isn't a factor in the end...we will all be winners if we believe and follow the Word of Christ ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, Mary, we all win in the end when Jesus is the Lord of our lives. Happy endings, indeed!
      Thanks so much for stopping by today. :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Martha, I'm from MA and my entire family are Red Sox fans. I'll never forget when we finally won the World Series! Wow!
    Sometimes we feel stuck...like things will never change, and then BAM! We hit one out of the park. I love how life surprises us. I bet God enjoys watching us play the game of life as much as your mom loved to watch the Red Sox;)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your comment here, Leah, that "God enjoys watching us play the game of life as much as your mom loved to watch the Red Sox". Now, that's an image I can truly wrap my heard around! Perfect!
      Thanks so much for stopping by. :)
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. The best thing about this victory is...Christ does it over and over again in our lives. Again, I was reminded of your reflection of God's Truth. And I hold on to that truth that God is very consistent.Yes, win or lose... rain or shine...whatever season comes,God is here.

    I pray with you. My peace has been restored knowing that Christ won for us. Oh How much He loves us!

    Hugging you Martha! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melissa, isn't His love for us amazing? And, since He has won the victory for us in the end, we will forever be on the winning team.
      Hugs to you, my friend, and thanks so much for stopping by today.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. A heartwarming story of your mother's faith and her father's love...Thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you are so welcome and I do appreciate you taking time out of what I know is a busy day to visit with me. So glad you enjoyed this memory which my mom told me many times over the years.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. Great Daily Devotion!

    Yes, in Christ we will have the final Victory. We will have some small defeats along the way...but the Series is ours!

    Thanks, very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you chose to stop by today and so gratified that you enjoyed this devotion!
      You are so right - we will suffer defeat on this road of life, but the ultimate victory has been infinitely claimed for us!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. These days have been particularly hard...I wonder why God lets some win and some lose..i so wish I could understand...As always...XOXOXOXOXO

    http://bongoisme.blogspot.com/2012/04/announcing-blogging-and-friends-blog.html#axzz1ryn2LVmy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Bonnie!
      Sometimes, it seems, there is no rhyme or reason to our pain and suffering. I always try to remember that sometimes the Lord calms the storm and other times walks through it with us.
      May your storms be over soon, my friend!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...