Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Home Is Where the Heart Is

John 14:23
Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching.  My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."

When Danny and I marry, my daughter, Sarah, is winding up her senior year of high school.  We can't move out of our condominium into Danny's house until she successfully completes it.  I, too, have to finish out my teaching contract.

The eight-week wait feels like an eternity to me.  But, I fill the hours when I'm not working with cleaning and packing.  Lots and lots of packing!

And, lots of purging.

Because, we are combining two households, and there simply isn't room for duplicates of any sort.

What Danny and I really want to be sure of, though, is that we make a special and welcome room for Sarah.

This is a huge adjustment for her.  Mom getting married.  Moving to a new house.  Living with two younger step-brothers.  Getting ready for college.

She needs her own space.  A private place.

To feel at home.

Danny begins remodeling a downstairs room.  He moves his music studio from here into a corner in the spacious, adjacent laundry room.  Tears up the ancient and ugly blue carpeting in preparation for the new.

Knowing how much Sarah loves Starbucks, he paints the walls in tricolor earth tones which reflect the warm ambiance of that venue.  He places several items of coffee memorabilia on the walls, and adds his grandfather's antique coffee grinder to a shelf for decoration.

Next, a plush carpet whose color compliments the walls is laid down.  Add a single bed, a small, round, tiled tables, two chairs, Sarah's dresser, and heavy, brown drapes for privacy and - voila!  A room designed for a princess!

But, the question remains.  Will Sarah like what he has done?  Will she feel comfortable enough to call this place "home"?

The big day arrives.  Sarah is to see her room for the first time.  We are holding our breaths.

Danny draws back the curtains.  Sarah gasps!  Looks all around in amazement.  With sheer delight!

"Oh, thank you, Danny, it's beautiful!  I love it!"  She exclaims and gives him a generous hug.

"You're welcome, Sarah," he says with a relieved smile.  "Welcome home!"
~
Are you creating a welcoming room in your heart that Jesus can call home?

Will you join me in prayer?
We thank you today, Father, for the love of family and for calling us to be Your children.  May there always be a beautiful room in our hearts that You can call "home".  Let us ever welcome You with open arms.  Amen.

Reading
Psalms 5, 6 or 10, 11
Exodus 15:1-21
1 Peter 1:13-25
John 14:18-31  

16 comments:

  1. Danny is a such a treasure, Martha. You are truly blessed! Home is where there is love and if we love God, we must make place for Him. But I'm afraid He won't settle for just one room ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, he is, Corinne. God has so blessed me!
      And, you are so right - home is wherever there is love for one another and love for God. He is with us wherever we go!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  2. You are one lucky lady, Martha :) What a lovely description of Sarah's room. You should have put in a picture too.

    http://sulekharawat.com/2012/04/17/ode-to-my-hero/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Sulekka, and I do know it!
      I wish I had a photo, too. The room has, unfortunately, gone through some transformations since she moved out and looks nothing like it did or I certainly would have shared.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful...I would have loved to see the delightful expressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was thrilled, Janaki! I keep telling Danny he should have been an interior designer - LOL!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Martha.
    What a kind and generous thing for Danny to do. That's a good man man right there (wish we could have seen his hard work).
    For me, I have a roof over my head & a comfortable bed to sleep in at night, but my real home is wherever my wife is.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Day 15 (17): Open My Eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Andy, I know how you feel - my home is wherever Danny is and God is always at home here in my heart!
      Yes, Danny sure went overboard with this one, but it meant the world to my daughter. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. I felt so much love between you and Danny. I could imagine Sarah's delight over seeing her new room. It's all so beautiful.

    I just had my room re-arranged, and it's a way of creating space for something...Someone...

    I hope each day, I create a beautiful place for the Lord where He could rest ~ since He has nowhere to lay His head...

    I pray with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great reminder here, Melissa, that while He was on earth, our Lord had nowhere to rest His head. Yet, now, risen and reigning, He can live in our hearts forever and always.
      And, it is good, once in awhile, I think, to rearrange our room to reflect how we are changing and growing in the Spirit.
      Thank you, as always, for praying with me!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful husband you have chosen...Beautiful thoughtful and loving thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Jan!
      Yes, I feel so incredibly blessed. He is a very loving and thoughtful person.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. It is such a comfort to think we can make a home for Jesus! What an amazing man Danny is! How thoughtful. You are very blessed with a wonderful family. Thanks for sharing with us Martha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tameka, for stopping by!
      Yes, I am blessed, and I realize this every day in the presence of Danny. I delight in the knowledge that Christ wants to live with us and wants us to prepare a special place in the home of our heart just for Him.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  8. I just had to like this post. Danny's thoughtfulness is commendable. I love the way you have shown a physical example and through that led us to the ultimate truth. You would be a wonderful Sunday-school teacher: practical, honest and true.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Susan!
      Yes, Danny is one of the most thoughtful people I know. :) And, I guess, in a way, I am taking on that role of "Sunday school teacher" in writing this blog. Just never thought of it quite in this way.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...