Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"All You Need is Love, Love. Love is All You Need . . ."

2 Corinthians 2:8
I urge you, therefore, to reaffirm your love for him.

Pastor Wallace tells the story of a middle-aged couple, Bob and Gail, who regularly attend services in one of his former churches.

Several weeks into his ministry there, Wallace notices that while Gail participates in the prayers and hymns, Bob sits or stands stoically.  Silently.

Never moving his lips in prayer.  Never lifting his voice in song.

And, naturally, he is curious about Bob's behavior.  Decides to, as genially as possible, confront him about it.

Wallace catches up with the two one Sunday after service as they are getting into their car.

"Wait up there a minute, Bob," he shouts and waves as he runs toward them.

Bob straightens up behind the open car door.

"What can I do for you, Pastor?"  He asks sternly.  His jaw is set.  His eyes, emotionless.

Wallace senses that the waters are icy, but takes the plunge anyway.

"Just wondering about something, Bob," he says.  "I see you and your wife here faithfully every Sunday.  She seems to enjoy being here.  But, it doesn't look to me like you are getting much out of it."

"What do you mean by that?"  Bob's voice has a definite edge.

"Well, my friend, I never see you pray.  Never see you sing.  People that come to church are usually eager to participate in worship.  Because, worship is all about telling the Lord how much we love Him."

Bob's eyes narrow.

"I told Jesus I loved Him when I accepted Him as my Lord and Savior.  That's plenty enough telling."

"C'mon, Bob," Wallace cajoles, "certainly you don't mean that.  Why, I'm sure you tell Gail here on a regular basis that you love her, don't you?  So, why not tell the Lord regularly?"


"I told Gail I loved her the day I asked her to marry me.  That's plenty enough telling."


Without another word, Bob gets into his car.


Gail follows, but not before Wallace sees the dark, deep wells of sadness that are her eyes.
~
Whom will you reaffirm with love today?


Will you join me in prayer?
Let us show and tell others we love them every day, Father.  May the love You have for us shine through us always.  May our prayers and praises we give to you say, again and again, how much we love You.  Amen.


Readings
Psalms 55 or 74
Lamentations 2:1-9
2 Corinthians 1:28-2:11
Mark 12:1-11

 

20 comments:

  1. Wow this was really good..to remember to tell the ones you love that you love them everyday..including God...As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by, Bonnie, and so glad you liked the post today!
    Life is too short not to show our love to others, especially God. It is His love for us that allows us to love in the first place!
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good post, Martha. I'm a great convert to telling people I love them - as often as I can..It was hard at first but I'm getting better at it. And of course, telling God who we can so take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here as always, Corinne!
      It is too easy for some of us to take others we love for granted and not tell/show them each day how much we care. I learned the hard way - tell someone each day, because tomorrow has no guarantee.
      Thanks for coming by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I also believe in expressing my feelings to others. This was seldom practiced at my home when I was young. I changed it all after my kids were born.
    We are more expressive and demonstrative in our feelings.
    Great post Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great news, Janaki, of how you were able to show your children to be open and demonstrative about their feelings even though you weren't brought up that way. Kudos to you!
      Thanks so much for the comment, the compliment, and, of course, stopping by in the first place.:)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. It is so important to tell our loved ones that we love them! But your post also made me think Martha! I always say thank you to God for all love He gives me but how often do I actually say the words: "God I love you?"..I should be saying this a 1000 times a day. Thank you for reminding me about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is something we all neglect to do, telling God we love Him, especially when He has done so much for us. We all need to put that into our daily prayer practice for sure!
      Thanks, Nelieta, for stopping by and leaving this most thoughtful comment!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. This was a great post Martha. I think some people are afraid of the wealth of feeling that comes from fully embracing love for a person or for God. We were created and born out of love when God made us so we definitely need to replicate that love in our daily lives. Bless you for this!

    http://lyricfire.typepad.com/lyric-fire/2012/04/lyric-fire-napowrimo-2012-day-4-of-30-poems-in-30-days-jukebox-bennie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Tameka, and for the lovely compliment!
      Wow! I have never thought about an inability to show love because they are fearful of the "wealth of feeling", as you have said. Maybe, this is akin to the fear of losing control? Great perspective you've shared here!
      Blessings to you and keep writing that fantastic poetry!

      Delete
  7. Oh thanks God, my Spirit is lifted this day. I often think that action speaks louder than words. But personally, I do need to hear those words as confirmation and affirmation of my being loved.

    Often, at the end of the day, I'd ask God to embrace me and ask Him to say it to me. I'd tell Him I love Him and ask for His mercy for the sins I've committed against Him.

    It's easier to say I love you to the ones we truly love like God and my mom. I love them so much. To friends who are very close to my heart, it's also easy to post those love symbols.

    But most often, there are people who cry out for love and I don't often notice them. I guess I need to pay more attention to them too.

    I pray with you. It isn't enough to say it once and allow people to go thirsty or hungry. We need to say it and show it.

    Thanks for this reflection Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by, Melissa, and thanks for your wonderful comment!
      We all need and desire to be lovingly confirmed and to reach out to others with God's love. You are so right! "We need to say it and show it."
      Thank you as always for praying with me!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  8. Amen to what everyone above said Martha!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Bernie!
      Yes, one big, happy AMEN!!!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  9. Wow...It's so sad to think of all the people in relationships that never hear the one words that they so long t hear. What's most tragic is hearing stories like these of children who never hear their parents say "I love you." A great post with an important reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica, for stopping by today and taking time to comment!
      It is so tragic, isn't it? Especially for children whose parents withhold love from them. It makes me wonder if this character, Bob, grew up in a home where love was never shown. So very sad . . .
      Glad you enjoyed the post.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  10. Hello Martha.
    We were created from love to love and be loved in return. In life and even more so in love, we become complacent. Knowing you are loved is one thing, but hearing it everyday, even several times a day surely uplifts one's spirit. I'm a deeply emotional man and one who likes to hug. Only when death seals my lips forever will I cease telling my wife and those whom I love how much I love them.

    Of course, we must always show our love for God by following the example of His son and most importantly by our obedience to His Commandments. To show this kind of love, we should study & apply God's word and assemble with His servants.

    Great post again today Martha & a reminder for us all.
    Thanks as always for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping in, Andy, and leaving a comment here.
      It is all to easy when we know we are loved to forget to tell the person loving us just how we feel. I, like you, don't let a day go by without telling or showing my husband that I love him. Love truly does make the world go round in the right way!
      And, yes, let's never forget to love our Father in Heaven and to tell Him, too, how much we love Him.
      So glad you enjoyed the post.
      Blessings!

      Delete
  11. Beautifully stated. Your love and strength inspires all of us, especially those of us eve questioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Brenda!
      I'm gratified to know that you are inspired here. And, remember, God made us to be curious, to ask questions, and to even doubt.
      I truly believe He loves our questions of Him for He wants to be in relationship with us.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...