Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"Help! I Need Somebody! Help! Not Just Anybody!"

Psalm 38:21-22
LORD, do not forsake me;
do not be far from me, my God.
Come quickly to help me,
my Lord and my Savior.

Some days, writing my Daily Devotions is smooth sailing.  I read the appointed scriptures from Old and New Testaments and a verse pops right out at me.  Sews the seeds of a story which grows rapidly and flourishes on the page.

Most days, however, it's a matter of my re-reading the scriptures.  Seeing more than one possibility.  Unable to pin one down easily.  Waiting for God to speak to my heart.

And, He never fails me.  Never lets me down.

Even when He does not come quickly to my aid.

Like today . . .

While there are several appealing prospects, I cannot decide.  I take them, one by one, and meditate upon them.  Is there a story here?  Yes, but is it one I can make personal for my readers?

Hmm.

Back and forth I go.  Between Exodus, the Psalms, and Colossians.  The Gospel is out as I have written a previous devotion related to it.

Perusing.  Pondering.  Rolling the potential of each around in my head.

I even do some internet research on topics that might be applicable.  Ones that could bring enlightenment to the verse.

Now, I'm becoming a bit anxious.  What if this is the one day, after the over 300 I've spent in God's word, in creating devotions, when He forsakes me?

Nonsense!  You know better!

I plug away.  Mulling over this verse.  That verse.  Think I've settled . . .

No, it's just not quite right.

I turn to my husband, Danny, who is working at home today.

"I can't believe this!  Why can't I decide on a scripture?  Find a story?  The last two days they've simply fallen into my lap.  I'm just not hearing His message for these.  It's so frustrating!"

"Go back one more time," he advises.  "It's there somewhere.  It will come."

I heave a sigh and do as Danny says.

But, instead of returning to a verse I am contemplating in Psalm 38, I reread the entire thing . . .

And, there it is!!!

God's awesome reminder that He is never far from me when I have faith in Him.
~
Are there times when God seems so far away from you?

Will you join me in prayer?
Help us, Father, to have faith and know that You will never forsake us or be far from our cries.  May we live to serve You in all things.  Let us hear Your voice guiding us into all truth.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 38 or 119:25-48
Exodus 19:16-25
Colossians 1:15-23
Matthew 3:13-17  

16 comments:

  1. Amen! Thank you for the beautiful prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Nikky, for visiting today and for your kind words.
    Blessings always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning, Martha:
    Found this post very interesting as I sincerely believe when I have a momentary block, God will come to me and open that blockage and pour in the inspiration I need. I think MOST of my columns come from divine intervention anyway.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chris, and thanks so much for stopping by!
      I agree wholeheartedly with the aspect of divine intervention. This post was a great example of God giving me the situation first and then finding the scripture He wanted me to write about all along. A game of hide-and-seek! He does have a sense of humor, for sure!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. It happens to all of us Martha...don't be anxious, you will do just fine. Keep us inspiring and blessing with your scriptures and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janaki, for stopping by and for your all-too-kind words.
      You amaze me with your participation in the poetry challenge, my friend - no time for writer's block here, is there? :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Oh yes it does happens Martha. Sometimes you feel he si far away but actually he is there always. And even if you could not personalize your scriptures today, you still inspire and make our faith in him stronger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Rimly!
      It's like God was giving me the cart before the horse in this post. He gave me the experience for which I then find the verse that fit it perfectly. He is always there, as you say, even when we don't feel His presence.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. I do go crazy when at times God would be silent when I wished to be with Him...right at this time...at this moment...

    But then I also find out how cluttered my mind is and I couldn't gibe more space for Him to enter...

    There are many times I'd ask questions, and He'd take forever to answer...or perhaps He already did and I just missed His point.

    And I rely on His Spirit to blow and inspire and give me peace and rest...

    This is one of your most beautiful reflections Martha... so honest, so close to heart, spontaneous :)

    I pray with you that we may continually trust in Him and His Words... and may we always be rooted in His great great love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Melissa, isn't it the truth? We want God on our terms, not His, and, sometimes, as when I became frustrated in finding scripture for this post, He makes sure we know that He makes the rules here. And, we best play by them in order to know Him better and better.
      Thank you for your sweet compliments and for praying with me, my dear. It warms my heart and soul . . .
      Visited your latest, too, and it is amazing!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. sometimes when I can't even pray, I just say over and over and over, "Jesus, I trust in you.."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by!
      That is a wonderful thing to do and, in a very real way, it is praying to Him.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  8. I think when we feel God is far from us, it really means we have traveled too from him. Thanks for the prayer and the reminders dear Martha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for stopping by, Tameka!
    I agree completely here - we are the ones who drift away; He is ever the sure anchor.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm constantly amazed at how you write so faithfully every day - the inspiration comes, but it's also the discipline of it that I admire about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Corinne, for your kind compliment.
      It's been almost a year now since I felt God's strong call to do this. Much of my discipline and motivation comes from not wanting to let Him down. And, I lean on Him so, so much to give me the verse He wishes me to reflect on and to give me the words that do Him justice.
      Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave these beautiful words of encouragement, my dear friend!
      Blessings always!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...