Sunday, January 8, 2012

Down by the Riverside


John 7:37-38
On the last and greatest day of the festival, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "Let anyone who is thirsty come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them."

It is the last full day of our honeymoon in the Nantahala Mountains of North Carolina. The April sun is shining, the sky is a brilliant blue, and the temperature is balmy.

Danny and I decide to pack a lunch and head back to a park we passed several times on our many adventures. It rests along the edge of the Nantahala River.

Surely, we think, there will be a spot along the banks just perfect for a picnic.

When we arrive at our destination and disembark from the car, the first thing I hear is the voice of the river. Distant, yet constant. Ever moving. Ever flowing.

Calling . . .

We gather up our paraphernalia and assess the direction we should go.

"This way," says Danny, pointing across a meticulously mowed field sporting its gleaming spring green. "The walk will be easy enough while we look for a break in the bushes to get down to the river."

The promise of an effortless walk is welcome as we are toting not only picnic supplies, including a well-worn quilt to sit on, but also Danny's guitar and songbook. We plan to make an afternoon of it!

That is, if we find the right place . . .

After about a minute, Danny spies a potential break in the bracken which lines the river's edge.

"Look here!" He exclaims. "It's a bit overgrown, but this is definitely a path. I think it leads right to that rock overlooking the river."

And, so it does!

We slip and slide a bit on slick leaves, dodge a few briars, but make it unscathed to the coveted rock.

Where the voice of the Nantahala is large and clear and strong.

We stand motionless for several minutes, listening to the sonorous song of rushing waters. Watching the dazzling sunlight play and dance upon the coursing rapids. Drinking in the splendor and beauty of our surroundings.

The river is alive. An endless flow. A perpetual rhythm. An eternal spring.

The Living Water . . .

Alive in our hearts.

Flowing with endless love.

Perpetual forgiveness.

Eternal peace . . .

Will you quench your thirst with the Living Water today?

Let us pray:
Thank you, Lord, for the gift of Your Son, Jesus the Christ, the Living Water, who soothes our thirsty souls. Let us drink deeply of His love, His truth, His Word, His grace. Amen.

Readings
Psalms 117, 118 or 112, 113
Exodus 17:1-7
Colossians 1:15-23
John 7:37-52

15 comments:

  1. Amen!
    Let ALL who are thirsty, drink of this Flowing and Living water...and they will never thirst again!
    Blessings through Christ the Lord, Martha!
    Bernie
    psalm 27:4

    ReplyDelete
  2. For I will pour out water to quench your thirst and to irrigate your parched fields. And I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants, and my blessing on your children.
    —Isaiah 44:3 msg
    I want to share this one with you...
    Today's Prayer
    Father, I thank you so much for the promise Jesus made, reminding me that you would send your Holy Spirit if I ask. So I'm asking. I'm not asking for something outwardly spectacular, but I am asking that you make the Spirit's presence real -- slake my thirst and refresh my soul, by the power of your Spirit at work in me. I ask this in the name of Jesus, and to your glory. Amen.
    Thank you Dear Martha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience Martha :) While we reflected on hunger the other day, here comes another one on thirst.

    The river really pulsates life. I love the 'flow' concept. It gives me a sense of calm.

    God is this eternal Source...deep well... spring.

    "Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God" ~ Psalm 42

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful experience...Thank you for sharing..It was a refreshing thing to read this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds lovely and romantic as all of life should be! i love the way you celebrate life ;-x

    "Joy is the infallible sign of the presence of God." -Teilhard de Chardin

    ReplyDelete
  6. A journey with a loved one.... quenches the thirst of love satisfying the deeper ocean of love....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the flow of your words, Martha...And I can imagine how Jesus' voice soothed, strengthened and challenged His listeners! Today, I heard His voice through your words. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. Nature inspires us, takes us near to the creator...everything surrounds around HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who dropped by today! You have blessed my day!
    @Bernie - nothing better than the Living Water - Amen, Brother!
    @Alpana - Oh, what a beautiful prayer! I prayed it with you . . . :)
    @Melissa - Rivers have always had the same effect on me. I feel refreshed in body, mind, and spirit when I am near them.
    @Jessica - Yes, it was a glorious experience. Danny and I have returned to this spot many times when visiting the mountains.
    @Linda - Yes, it was and is a very romantic place. Love the quote from de Chardin! My dad read every book he ever wrote. Guess I should, too!
    @Savira - What a marvelous reflection! The perfect way to envision our journey with the one we love . . .
    @Corinne - Oh, wow, I am most humbled by your comment, Corinne . . . to hear His voice in the words . . . Amen!
    @Janu - Yes, being in His creation always makes me feel He is standing right beside me. There is nothing like it . . .

    Blessings to you all and thanks again for taking time to be here today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this post..I felt as if I was searching to get closer to the flowing river...so beautiful...Thank you...As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Bonnie! I'm so glad to know you were searching right along with us and that you liked the post.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, I love searching the rivers and hearing the river talk. You have related this beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is it about the flow of water that is is so refreshing and calming at the same time? Love the image you have shared!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nothing refreshing and inspiring as nature's beauty. i have always found the sound of water flowing peacful, even the slow trickle from a faucet will do me in.
    nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Jan, Lynne, and Sukanya, and thanks so much for dropping by today.
    @Jan - As you say, there is nothing like "river talk". Thank you for the compliment. :)
    @Lynne - Yes, refreshing (awakening), yet calming simultaneously. So glad you loved the image shared here.
    @Sukanya - You must be a "water baby" :). Rainy days will entice me into napping quicker than anything. The sound of water flowing or dripping is always soothing . . .

    Blessings to each and every one!

    ReplyDelete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...