Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Leader of the Band

John 17:4
I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.

When he graduates from high school in the 70s, my husband, Danny, decides to postpone college. He is a self-taught guitarist with a powerful tenor voice. Why not make a living as a musician?

Danny pursues this route for years. Performing in restaurants. Bars. Hotel lounges.

Honing his skills.

Hanging with the wrong crowd.

About as far removed from God as east is from the west . . .

Fast forward thirty years.

Danny has survived college. Made good in the workplace.

Survived . . . a heart attack. A bitter divorce. A bout with pneumonia so severe, the doctors place him in an artificial coma for six days.

Survived . . . but, not quite arrived . . .

His sister, a devout Christian, stays with Danny for six weeks while he recuperates from the pneumonia. Cooking. Cleaning. Taking care of the boys. Taking care of him.

Talking about God.

Of salvation in Christ.

Danny has heard it all before.

But, this time . . . this time . . .

He listens with his heart. Feels in his soul. Grasps with his mind.

Saved!
~
This year marks the ninth one for Danny leading contemporary worship at our church. He reflects back to all those years spent playing in the restaurants, the bars, the lounges. The ones he once saw as squandered . . . wasted.

But, God redeems them.

Because, without the experience, the years of practice, performing in public, Danny would have never been prepared for this.

Would not have been chosen to lead.

Would not have completed the work God gave him to do.

All for His glory . . .
~
How have your past experiences uniquely shaped who you are or what you do today?

Will you pray with me?
Thank you, Father, for the saving grace of Your Son, Jesus. Through Him, our past mistakes and struggles find redemption. We know, too, that You will be ever faithful to complete the good works You began in us. Amen.

Psalms 37:1-18 or 37:19-42
Habakkuk 3:1-10 (11-15), 16-18
Philippians 3:12-21
John 17:1-8


12 comments:

  1. Wow. This is so true and this brought back all those times for me. And to title it - Leader of the Band - is also special as this was a song that meant so much to me as I reflected on my Father's time in music. Just plain powerful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means so much to me that this means so much to you, honey! And, yes, I purposely chose that title. :)
      Love you!

      Delete
    2. Gee, was I part of that wrong crowd, he said tearfully!

      Delete
    3. Wow, Butch! So cool to see you here! If it makes you feel any better, I wasn't with the "right" crowd back in the day. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing story, Martha. It's so true that God takes our 'mistakes' and turns them inside out for good. I've seen that happen in my own life and I smile silently at God's humor! So happy for Danny! May he continue to be blessed in his ministry.

    Incidentally, The Leader of the Band is one of my favorite songs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corinne, for your wonderful comment here.
      Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how God can take our mistakes and turn them into blessings. :)
      And, I've always loved the song, too - never fails to make me tear up . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. Powerful post, this is the stuff that gives me hope for some of the people in my life including me.<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan, for stopping by!
      I'm so glad today's message spoke to your heart and gives you fresh hope. It's so amazing what our Father can do in our lives!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. SO beautiful Martha and Danny! God makes all things beautiful in His time :)

    I have been journeying with you for quite sometime Martha but it is in the last two posts that you have that I find your words so close to heart. It's either you are talking with your heart or I have opened myself more to prayer.

    I just read another story at Corinne's blog and just as I wrote there...grace takes place both ways and Danny was receptive to it.

    I pray with you and for you beautiful souls. Continue the work God has initiated in you... you are planing seeds of faith in people...watch how God makes them grow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, your beautiful thoughts here are precious to me!
      Grace does take place both ways, indeed! I am so glad to hear that my words in the last two posts have wrapped themselves around your precious heart. Wow, is this ever humbling . . .
      Yes, we will continue to grow in the good works God has designed for us. Planting seeds of faith . . . and, one day, the harvest for Him will be plentiful!
      Thank you, my prayer partner, for being here and living for Him.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  5. This is a truly inspiring story. For sure many won't receive the truth until it is planted on fertile ground. I think of the parable with the seeds that Jesus taught..

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, you have made such a great analogy here! Yes, so many times, we are such "rolling stones" in life, we don't stop long enough to gather the soil we need for God's word and will to work in us.
      Thank you for taking the time to stop by today and leave your encouraging thoughts.
      Blessings always!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...