Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hanging in the Balance

1 Corinthians 10:12
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall!

As I've shared here recently, one of my "take-ons" for Lent has been to resuscitate a simple yoga routine I practiced years ago.

My faithful work outs at the gym have strengthened my arm and leg muscles.  This has made holding some poses easier than I recall from the past.  It's also created a tautness that begs release.  The welcome relief the yoga stretches provide.

There is one pose, however, whose difficulty surprises me.

It is the tree pose.

Where I tighten one leg, imagining it to be as strong and sturdy as the trunk of a tree.  Balancing on that leg, I slowly raise the other to, ideally, rest along my inner thigh.

Yeah, right!

I'm lucky if I can attach it to my calf.

My poor foot and ankle, the roots of my trunk, want to wobble and sway beneath me.  Especially, on the left leg.

Even though my elliptical-trained legs are unflinching.  And, my eyes are focused firmly on a "point".  I lose my balance.  Become frustrated.

And, more determined than ever to make it work.

Which makes me momentarily forget my breathing.  Something I am trying to keep at the height of awareness during my poses.

I regain my composure.  Relax.  Listen  to and feel the rhythm of my breathing.

And, try again . . .

To stand firm for real.

To balance.

And, not to fall.
~
Today marks the half-way point in Lent.  How are your resolutions holding up?

Will you pray with me?
We know, Father, that when we stand firmly in You, we will not stumble or fall.  Plant the feet of our souls solidly in You as the roots of the mighty oak are set in the earth.  Bring balance to our lives in all we do.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 87, 90 or 136
Genesis 47:27-48:7
1 Corinthians 10:1-13
Mark 7:1-23  

8 comments:

  1. I did a yoga class yesterday! The tree pose was definitely challenging in the beginning when I began to practice it...I restarted practicing yoga about a month ago. I'd teeter and wobble! Now it's gotten a lot easier...It takes definitely some practice and dedication...And so does our journey into the spiritual. I'm not observing Lent per se this year but I have spent a lot more time meditating, seeking God within.

    I pray this Lent bears much fruit for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, Jessica; I so enjoyed reading your latest posts and have left comments there. :)
      I'm gratified to know I'm not the only one who has wavered in the balance with the tree pose! I have seen marked improvement since I first started, though, and that's certainly encouraging.
      Keep up your practice, too!
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  2. Balance is so hard to achieve..sometimes I think it's because we are trying too hard that we fail to relax in a thought or pose...try try again...As always...XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you here, Bonnie!
      Yes, I agree - sometimes the more we struggle to find balance, the more it eludes us. If we just relax and let go, most of the time, it finds us. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. The tree pose - at least you come CLOSE - wibble-wobble, wibble wobble or not. Yoga brings me to the startling reality of how off-balance I am in life. It’s scary.
    I confess. I’ve done no adding or subtracting at all for Lent. Halfway through the season are we? Should I feel guilty? Is it too late to start now? To give something up? Is the Lord telling me to resume yoga, exercise? Most likely. So today, I will get off my part-Irish arse and give up some pounds. Sounds like a win-win to me ;-) Keep you posted. Will you hold me accountable? Cause God usually lets me off the hook and says, “Fine, reap a fat arse then.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debra, what a great comment you've left here!
    Yes, I've been keeping up fairly well with yoga and the rosary, but just got back from a week's vacation, behind on writing and battling some muscle pain (bad mattress!). So, guess what falls by the wayside?
    Don't feel guilty, not one bit! I'm actually tougher on my "letting gos" than "taking ons"; new habits take awhile to catch on and become a part of one's routine.
    It's never too late to start! Or, restart as the case may be. Plenty of time to get that part-Irish bod in shape! :) And, do keep me posted.
    You can check in with me to see how I'm doing, too. Gotta hit that gym on Monday!
    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shared with Jessica that I never did yoga in my life and I'm not sure if I'd like to engage in it at this time :P...

    However, it's something interesting and many people are learning it even in my country.

    I really feel extremely tired this fourth week of Lent but my niece and I jumped for joy seeing the priest wearing pink. Wow, we're almost there!

    I forgot all my resolutions at this time LOL... but I do feel the Lord's presence. I feel a certain pull of opposing forces and it knocks me down most of the time ~ the more I struggle against my natural desires, the more challenges I receive.

    I pray with you...God that we many finish this race we have started. You Lord are our firm foundation ~ our rock, our strength, fortress and shield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa! So glad you stopped in!
      Being on vacation this past week, I did let some of my practices slide just a bit - it was hard enough to keep ahead with my devotions and I'm still "behind the 8-ball" with those . . .
      Your description of "opposing forces" reminds me how much Satan wishes to tear us down and weaken our commitment to the Lord. He seems to attack those of us who are most dedicated and growing in faith. Hang in there, my dear! For God is our "rock, our strength, fortress and shield" and He will see us through this Lent and beyond!
      Many blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...