Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"On the Road Again . . ."

Mark 6:7
Calling the Twelve to him, he began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over impure spirits.


Two summers before I meet Danny, I choose to do something which, at the time, is a radical decision for me - to take a vacation.  

On.  My.  Own.

Well, not exactly on my own.  My Norfolk terrier, Maggie, will be with me.  The most blessed and comforting companion I could have.

But, as a single woman with grown children, I am weary of waiting for things to happen to me.  I want to make things happen!

After all, I could be single the rest of my life.  I need to learn to fend for myself.  To enjoy life.  To take risks.

To face my demons.

To live fully, completely, into my moments.

I assure my loving and concerned parents that I'm not all that crazy.  Yes, I can do this.  I have to.  Don't worry, I have Maggie.  I have a cell phone.  I will call.  You can call.  Here's where I'm staying.

Whew!  It's great to be loved.

I plan ahead and pack accordingly.  On the day of departure, I load the van, help Maggie into the passenger seat, close the door, and plant myself in the driver's seat.  

And, we're off!  To a quaint, tiny, pet-friendly cabin near Helen, Georgia.

 Where trails and streams and waterfalls abound and beg our exploration.

A perfect vacation for this outdoor lady and her trusty dog.

Whose company I am so grateful to have.

Who makes me feel braver and more capable than I could ever feel if I were actually . . . on . . . my . . . own.

My precious, happy-go-lucky Maggie.  My confidant.  My faithful friend.

My fellow sojourner on this journey called life.

The journey we embrace together with grace.

Knowing, in hearts shared, the demons are defeated.
~
Have you ever vacationed on your own?

Will you share this prayer with me?
We know, Father, that we are not intended to walk this life's journey alone.  Even when we feel there is no on with us, we can rest in the knowledge that Your Son is ever beside us, walking with us, and carrying us when we grow weary.  We thank you for every good gift, every blessing, every friend.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 78:1-39 or 78:40-72
Genesis 45:1-15
1 Corinthians 7:32-40
Mark 6:1-13 

11 comments:

  1. Well, I would love to do this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, maybe, you will!:)
    Thanks so much for stopping by, Janaki.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this touched a particular ache in my heart LOL. In my life, I had it reversed. First, I had vacation, then God sent me to work :P

    The thought of getting married hit me at the age of thirty. I was very happy then living as a single celibate. However, whatever it is that'll bring me closer to God, is an open idea :P

    There are many times I feel lonely and that's how I started writing. My journal is my constant companion and Jesus accompanies me always everywhere.

    I pray with you. Sometimes, the thought of being alone in life is defeating, I have only to look up and see others in order to leave my place of isolation into a world that needs reaching out ;)

    Thanks for the reflection Martha. Your experiences give me so much hope ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this reflection gave you hope today, Melissa.
      We never know what life has in store for us but, if we trust in God for guidance and direction, we will both be on the right path and never alone.
      Yes, we can still feel lonely at times, but, I do think when we reach out to serve others, we derive great satisfaction and fulfillment.
      I do believe the right man is out there for you. All in God's time. :)
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  4. I have..and I have with just my kids. My husband as rheumatoid arthritis. In the early days if his illness (when he was in and out of remission) he wasn't able to travel or do much, but we both agreed life had to go for all of us in the house. The kids and I have often traveled on our own, and me as well. On a good note, hubbie has been in remission for several years and travels along. I think in life we figure things out and work around them..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about your husband's illness, Brenda, but so glad to know he is in remission and can do more things with you and the family.
      That had to be a tough decision to make, to travel on your own with the kids, and by yourself, but you were right about life having to go on for everyone.
      Thanks so much for stopping by today!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to chose to take that vacation. Sometimes when we are in places of calm and serenity, we hear the voice of god better. And, it is a blessing to have a companion as Maggie.

    Blessing to both of you.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Susan!
      Yes, I am glad I made that decision many years ago. It did make me so much more aware of how God was truly looking out for me.
      Still miss my little Maggie . . .
      Blessings!

      Delete
  6. I have gone on a vacation exactly, but I do take day long road trips with my Yona. Or I did before this sleep stuff started, I always enjoyed them and am missing them already. I explore more and am open to more things if I don't have any one along to consider. I am a bit of a risk taker so it is probably not always a good thing for me to go alone, lol. Thank you for sharing this and I am so glad you took that vacation, everyone I have done has been a confidence builder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *have not gone on vacation exactly. is what that should read. sheesh.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by, Jan!
      I'm glad to know you are not hesitant to travel by yourself. Yes, there can be risks, but, aren't they worth taking? :)
      I so wish my little Maggie was still around to go places with me . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...