Saturday, March 3, 2012

"I'll See You in My Dreams . . ." Part I

Genesis 41:12
"Now a young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard.  We told him our dreams, and he interpreted them for us, giving each man the interpretation of his dream."

When you sleep, do you dream?  Do you recall your dreams upon awakening?  Are your dreams random, silly, nonsensical?  Or, do you ever have recurring dreams, one for which you seek some meaning?

I remember dreaming when I sleep, but it is rare for me to recollect anything but bits and snatches of them once I am awake.  What I do remember usually has no rhyme or reason to it.

And, while I've endured recurring nightmares in my life, I've only had one recurring dream.

Just.  One.

It begins with me knowing, instinctively, I am in an extremely large home.  I enter a room which I recognize immediately as a study.  It is dimly lit, but far from cheerless.

Books line the wood-paneled walls.  A fire crackles comfortably on a stone hearth whose mantle is graced by a clock of Victorian appearance.  Two generously padded armchairs are drawn close to the fireplace.

I can see, in my mind's eye, the two literary giants in my life, C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien occupying those chairs.  Puffing on their pipes.  Sipping a pint.  Conversing in soft, low tones.

But, the seats are empty.

The room is still.  So still that I can hear every tick of the clock.  Every pop of the flames.

I want to stay.  I long to stay.

Then, without warning, I am whisked away to a twisting, turning stone corridor, lit by torches.  I walk quickly.  Headed where?

I think to other rooms, but, no!

There is daylight coming through a large crevice in the wall.  It is the way out.  

The way I am always drawn to take.

I exit into the blinding sunshine.

Instantaneously, I find myself standing on the wrong side of a gargantuan, gleaming gate.

Part of a seemingly endless and equally glimmering fence.

Behind which sprawls the most stately and elegant mansion I have ever seen.

I know that I was just where I was.

Inside.

Now, outside.  Far, far outside . . .

That is when I wake.

And, remember . . .
 ~
Tomorrow, I will tell you what happens in my life that allows me, at long last, to understand this dream.  To know why it occurred again and again.

Until then, would you, like Joseph, try to interpret this dream?  Will you share with me what it is saying to you?

Please pray with me.
Thank you, Father, for watching over us always, whether we are awake or asleep.  Bless us with restful slumbers that we may ever be prepared to face the challenges of a new day and serve You in all things.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 55 or 138, 139:1-17 (18-25)
Genesis 41:1-13
1 Corinthians 4:1-7
Mark 2:23-3-6  

16 comments:

  1. It's very rare that I remember my dreams. Some are recurring too...and most of them are continuations of what I've done the whole day. Those dreams I remember most are visits from old friends who pray for me :)

    I'm curious about your dreams :) I'm looking forward to your interpretation of them.

    I pray with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Melissa!
      I love that the dreams you recall are visits from friends who pray for you. Wonderful!
      Oddly, since I wrote this post and the one for tomorrow, I feel as though I have been dreaming more. Go figure! :)
      The interpretation is promised for tomorrow.
      Thank you for praying with me and blessings to you always!

      Delete
  2. Dreams are definitely an intriguing topic...and dreams definitely have significance in scripture. I dream a lot...most of my dreams aren't that pleasant. I had one recurring dream that was very unsettling..but once I wrote it out and shared it with someone it went away! Isn't it funny how the mind works? IT was like my mind was making me confront whatever was behind that dream and wouldn't rest until I did.

    I'm not sure if God gives us messages in dreams or it's more like parts of our subconscious becoming revealed..but I think dreams can tell us significant things about our own personalities that can be helpful. I have lucid dreams a lot..that's where when you are dreaming you can manipulate what is happening in your dream.

    Great topic for a post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jessica, for stopping by and sharing your dream experiences.
      I think it's great that you were able to get that recurring dream out of your system by writing about it and sharing it. I do think that dreams do reflect what is going on in our lives even though the images and symbols may seem weird and meaningless at the time.
      Just a hint about tomorrow - God was trying to give me a message in this one dream! :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait for the second part of it! I have dreams too, Marth...but mostly I have vivid experiences with the LORD - He has literally spoken to me three times in my life, and the last time was a few months ago, and I was rebuked big time for praying with someone who was not a Christian, but claimed to be! God is serious about His business..but that's another story. Dreams sometimes are to point us to a shortcoming we need to correct, I know it does in my life! Bless you, Martha Murdy!

    ps...I will never forget His Voice! When I see Him on that Day, I will know Him, cuz He knows me! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bernie, for stopping by today!
      It sounds like your vivid experience with God are like those in the Bible who hear and see the Lord through visions, not dreams. What an amazing gift that is, my friend!
      Yes, I believe dreams, certain ones anyway, are trying to tell us something about where we are and where we should or should not be headed.
      And, how marvelous to have literally heard His voice. Wow! The sheep of His pasture know the voice of the Good Shepherd. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Martha.
    I dream, but most of the time I never remember them. I have been know to jump up in the middle of the night from a nightmare I was having, but once I fall back asleep & wake up in the morning, my memory of what happened is non-existent. I would say that dreaming is normal, since by all accounts, we all have them.

    In the past, God used dreams to give warnings & instructions to his prophets. Today, because this world is in the grips of the devil, one has to wonder who the messages are coming from...God or Satan's evil demons trying to deceive & mislead us with false prophesy.

    I am curious to see your reveal tomorrow.
    Thanks for sharing. Thanks also for your visits & encouraging comments. I appreciate them immensely.
    Please also note my blog address has changed, so you might need to update your bookmarks.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention...love your image. Josephine Wall's work is wonderful (smile).

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by, Andy, and leaving a very thought-provoking comment.
      I agree - we must be discerning when it comes to listening to or heeding what we see in our dreams. As Christians, we may not be of this world, but we are definitely in it, and Satan would like nothing better than to throw us into doubt and chaos. What a great observation!
      Glad you are looking forward to tomorrow's installment. Please know I always love your poetry and will be sure to make that address change.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Martha, it was not a dream, I was still awake having just got to bed when it started. I was 100% awake and it was a vivid vision. I have been careful about where I cast pearls now! As I mentioned, He is deadly serious and people, including me, had better be careful how they handle His Word, how they pray and TO WHOM they pray. I'll leave it right there.
    Peace
    ps....waiting for Part 2!! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, such a vision!
      Yes, I agree, that handling His Word and praying to Him and Him is crucial. I am so conscious of this in writing the devotions.
      May the words of my mouth and the meditations of all our hearts be acceptable to Him always!
      Blessings again!

      Delete
  6. I dream sometimes that I remember, for the most part though I have nightmares, recurring. One dream I have is of my grands and some other child falling and I can't help them, then I wake up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jan, and thanks so much for stopping by.
      You are such a nurturing, caring person, I'm not at all surprised by your dreams about the grands and not being able to help. It's almost like you're afraid you are not doing enough for them when, in reality, you truly are being there in every way for those precious little ones.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  7. I don't remember dreams that often, so I tend to believe that when I do remember... there is a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Rachel, I agree - I think the ones we really recall or the ones that actually begin to make sense, are the ones we are meant to learn from. But, most of mine are so scattered; that's why I've remembered this particular one for so long - coherent and meaningful.
      Thanks so much for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...