Thursday, March 1, 2012

How Does Your Garden Grow?

1 Corinthians 3:7
So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

Living in a home nestled in a forest certainly has its advantages.

We are shaded from the blistering Georgia sun in the summer.  We are visited by birds and squirrels in abundance.  Even the occasional deer are spotted strolling through our woods.

And, best of all, we have no grass to mow!

That's one chore I don't miss in the least.

What I do miss, though, is having a yard filled with the color of summer flowers.

There simply isn't enough sunlight filtering through the canopy to sustain them.

So, I settle for the next best thing - spring flowers!  Crocuses.  Tulips.  Daffodils.

Flowers which bloom and thrive all before the leaves return to the trees.

Early November finds me at the local nursery.  I purchase garden gloves, a bulb digger, and, of course, an assortment of bulbs.

I am ready!  Got to get them into the ground before the first hard freeze hits.

I choose my spots carefully.  Rake away leaves beneath which decades of decay has rendered moist, rich, loamy soil.

I dig the holes, one for each bulb.  Hoping they are the right depth as I insert a bulb and cover it with a blanket of dirt.  Safe, now, from winter's wrath.

I dig and dig and dig.  Hole after hole after hole.

Knees stained.  Back strained.  Hands sore . . .

Until every last bulb is tucked away.  Hidden.  Dormant.  Until the first warm breath of spring awakens them.

It's a long time to wait to see the fruit of my labor.  But, wait, I must.

For growth will happen only in God's good time.
~
How is the Lord growing you?

Will you pray with me?
We are so grateful, Father, for Your marvelous creation.  Let us see Your hand at work in every living thing.  Help us to plant the seeds of Your love in others so they may grow with love for You.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 50 or 19, 46
Genesis 39:1-23
1 Corinthians 2:14-3:15
Mark 2:1-12  

14 comments:

  1. Nice....post a picture of all those blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Janaki!
      Our spring has been so early here, most of the daffodils have bloomed and are beginning to fade . . .
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Martha:
    Being a photographer, spring is my favorite time of year to go out w/my camera. I ABSOLUTELY love all the spring blossoms as they bloom. Look forward to it every year.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Chris!
      Yes, spring is the most beautiful season here in Georgia and a paradise for any photographer. It is my favorite season of the year.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. I bet your yard looks beautiful when all of the spring flowers begin to bloom! Spring is a wonderful time of year...bringing hope and helping to renew the senses once winter sheds her heavy mantle.

    Great post...As to the question at the end...I think he's growing me very slowly but surely! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it does, Jessica, although I really need to plant even more bulbs come this fall.
      Love your sentiment here about spring bringing renewal to our hope and to our senses.
      And, yes, slowly is not bad, for, surely, it will all come into being in God's time.
      Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Wow wow wow. When someone says they live in the lap of nature, I feell so....I really love to be in the lap of nature and todasy kids are really missing a lot in lifeless concrete jungles. You are lucky, God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jerly, for coming by today!
      Yes, I do feel so fortunate and am thankful every day for where I live. It would be my hope that those children growing up in those concrete jungles would have some opportunity at some time to experience the depth and beauty of the natural world.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. You are so very close to me Martha...I'm in TN :) I lived in GA and remember the areas of forestry. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be. I need to be surrounded by the growth of flowers and beauty throughout the summer. And we are, like you, having a very mild winter. Some of my flowers don't even look like they ever stopped being green. But even being under cover of branch, God made flowers to grow. I do not have that leisure of some flowers because they only grow in shade. Impatients is one of them. It can tolerate a little bit of sun, but prefers shade. This was a flower my mother had all around her house and try and try again each year. I have only one place under a tree in our yard that stays shady pretty much all day long. That is the only place they will grow. As I yearn to have them all around me, I have to accept that it not possible.
    Just as it is not possible to see all the seeds of faith we have planted in others. They may need to be in a sunny location, or may require shade. Either way, God can see the fruits of our labor and that is what matters most.
    Thank you Martha for a wonderful post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this beautiful comment, Mary!
      Wow! We are neighbors! :) Were you aware that there are two kinds of impatients - one that loves shade and the other sun? We do plant the shade-loving ones in pots on our deck for summer color; just not the same as having in the yard, though.
      I love what you said here: "Just as it is not possible to see all the seeds of faith we have planted in others." But, in faith, we do plant them and allow God to do the growing.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. Oh so beautiful. I wish we could keep a garden but our lot is very little. I'm grateful that my parents kept our star apple tree eventhough it could have been used as space for parking. I loved how you described the flowers. I miss gardening too. I also like Mary's flowers in her blog.

    I enjoy your prayer...I'll remember that whenever I teach the kids...or when given the time to really plant something in the ground.

    Oh how does your garden grow? I hear God asking that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, how wonderful it is that you hear God asking how your garden is growing! Love this image!
      And, we do plant His seeds of love in all whom we touch with thoughtfulness and grace imparted to us by Him.
      Blessings ever and always!

      Delete
  7. I've never lived anywhere cold, so I haven't had the plant planting experience, but I know the real life version well. The moment when you finally know what all the hard work was for / when it all pays off is the best!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Rachel!
      Yes, when we put in lots of hard work and don't see the fruit of our labor for a long time, sometimes we want to give up. But, it is in the patience of the pursuit when the reward finally is realized. :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...