Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Something Wicked This Way Comes . . ."

Romans 12:21
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Evil is never so dangerous as when it disguises itself as good.  ~Dennis R. Maynard, When Sheep Attack

"I just never saw it coming . . ."

Sally's voice trails off.  Tears stream down her cheeks.  She clutches her coffee cup to steady her trembling hands.

Her husband of fifteen years leaves her for another woman.  He wants a divorce.

This man who always treated her kindly, lovingly.  Provided handsomely for her and the children.  The one who vowed 'til death do us part . . .

As I listen to her story, I am grief-stricken.  Shell shocked.  This couple, my friends for years . . . how can this be happening?  Robert is such a good man.

Or, seemed to be.

Or, was . . . Or, was he ever?

Because Satan, the father of lies, rarely sports his readily identifiable costume replete with horns and a pitchfork.

Oh, no!

He dons any number of unsuspected guises.  Hides behind smiles and words that reassure us.  Lull us into complacency.  Dull our awareness.

And, when we are at our most vulnerable, he strikes.  Hard!

A breath-knocked-out blow.  The plunge and twist of the blade.

And, hope and faith and love fall to their knees.

Good is no longer.

We are crushed.  Broken.

But, not beyond repair . . .

When we trust the Lord to heal us.  In His goodness.  In His time.

Sally looks up at me, her eyes moist and mournful.

"I really want to hurt Robert back.  Hurt him like he's hurt me.  But, I can't.  I just can't.  There are too many wonderful memories.  And, repaying evil with evil?  It will only serve to punish me in the end."

Amen, my brave and faithful sister.  Amen.
~
Have you ever mistaken evil for good?

Will you pray with me?
Deliver us from evil, Father.  Keep us safe and strong in the knowledge and love of You and of Your Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ.  Give us wise and discerning hearts to recognize Satan in all his nefarious disguises.  Help us to overcome evil with good.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 118 or 145
Exodus 3:16-4:12
Romans 12:1-21
John 8:46-59 

10 comments:

  1. That's sad but, she's right repaying him well only cause more harm. God is love so you must be loving! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by today, Joseph!
    Yes, it is a sad story, but, as children of God, we are called to take the high road, to forgive, and overcome evil with goodness. Otherwise, we just contaminate ourselves.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's tough to forgive sometimes, lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked this, Sulekkha. Yes, it can be so difficult, but if Jesus could forgive us while hanging on the cross, we need to forgive also.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Evil clothes itself with deception and lies. It could really be devastating many times. And our normal reaction is to protect ourselves from further harm.

    I'll always remember the passage you shared. My confessor told me this over a year ago. Return good, bless not curse. It takes practice and I know it'll be a long way to go. Piano piano...

    I pray for you and your friends. May God always show us the light and guide us towards the truth.May God's love flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to see you back here again, Melissa! Thanks for stopping by. :)
      It is so very human to want to strike back when we have been hurt or maligned. But, if Jesus could forgive those who persecuted Him, we must lean on Him for strength and choose the good. And, yes, it DOES take practice. Lots of it!
      Thanks, as always, for your prayers, my friend.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Martha, Outstanding post! Yes, I have. I tell my children life isn't like the Old Testament an Eye For an Eye. They struggle with that. I too, wanted to get even, but decided it wouldn't be a good thing. Amen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see you here, Cathy; thanks for stopping by!
      It is such a difficult lesson, but one we must learn. So glad you are teaching this to your children, too.
      And, yes, it is so tempting to "get even", as you said, but it only hurts us in the end.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  6. vengeance is not ours to seek. Boy was that a hard lesson to learn. The closest I ever got to it was ; I sent by best friend , (who ended up with my husband), a sympathy card, I added a question, I asked, "what makes you think you are going to be treated any differently?" <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jan, that's one tough scenario there! If that's the closest you came under those trying circumstances, I say more power to you!
      Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your story.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...