Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Waited on, Hand and Foot

Mark 8:2
"I have compassion for these people; they have already been with me three days and have nothing to eat."

Recently, I accompany my husband, Danny, on a business trip.  It is an environmental conference in the neighboring state of Tennessee, and Danny is asked to speak about EPA's Energy Star program in industry.

Although I am not officially part of the conference, I am invited to share in the meals provided.  A continental breakfast of fruit and various breads is delicious, but doesn't stick with us very long.  By lunchtime, we are ravenous!

We arrive early at the ballroom where the noonday meal will be served.  The aromas wafting from the buffet tables intoxicates us.

I notice that all the many tables have already been tastefully set.  Burgundy tablecloths.  Crisp, white napkins enveloping silverware.  Water and iced tea placed at every setting.

Perfect and inviting in every way.

And, with stomachs growling, we don't shirk from joining in with those first in line.

For, even with two buffet lines, serving over 300 participants will take time.  I marvel as I help myself to chilled salad, steamy, mixed vegetables, creamy Alfredo, crispy, golden chicken, and freshly baked roll - how does a chef go about planning and preparing to feed such a crowd?  It boggles my imagination!

Especially, when the food we eat is savory beyond our expectations.  Quantity AND quality.

The buffet lines are monitored by unobtrusive servers clad in black.  Not a chaffing dish nor desert tray goes empty before it is deftly removed and replaced by a full one.

Moving silently, gracefully, as if their steps are choreographed, the attendants are a wonder to watch.

And, to not even see coming.

It isn't a moment after my soiled dinner plate is set aside that it is spirited away by an observant server.

Giving the phrase "waited on, hand and foot" a whole new meaning.

No one who partakes of this luncheon leaves hungry.  Appetites are satisfied.  Needs are met.

And, all are energized for the busy afternoon sessions ahead.
~
When Jesus provided food for the 5,000, how do you think the people reacted?

Will you join me in prayer?
Thank you, Father, for sending Your Son, Jesus, the Bread of Life, to dwell among us and save us from our sins.  When we partake of the Holy Eucharist, in remembrance of His body given and His blood shed for us, may we be filled with the Holy Spirit and energized to serve others in His precious name.  Amen.

Readings
Psalms 97, 99, (100) or 94 (95)
Genesis 49:29-50:14
1 Corinthians 11:17-34
Mark 8:1-10 

10 comments:

  1. we all love being waited on hand and foot, lovely post. It is definitely food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sulekkha, for stopping by today!
      I'm so glad you found this post thought-provoking. And, yes, isn't it glorious when we get to be "spoiled" once in awhile? :)
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  2. Oh to be waited on such as this. lovely story Martha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jan, it was marvelous! We had such a relaxing and fun time together; I miss the vacation already . . .
      Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Nothing like when a service is done so earnestly and efficiently. It is always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, service with a smile and then some! Such a wonderful experience this was.
      Thanks so much, Rimly, for dropping by today!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  4. Oh I have experienced this in our convention. I felt queasy at times to have people wait on me. I'd dismiss help most of the times but that also means refusal of service for which these people are being paid for.

    Your reflections hit me,I need to lose a lot of myself inorder to feel comfortable being served... it's not giving all the time but knowing how to receive too.

    I was just reading Irene's most recent post on food and nourishment. And I find it very delightful how you both could describe food in such a delicious manner. In this case, I also wish to enjoy food as much as you do. Enjoying the meal somebody else prepared for us :)

    I pray with you. May the service given and the food that we shared be extended to others who are most in need.

    Thank you for your reflections Martha :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, reflective comment here, Melissa!
      Yes, I think it is difficult at times for us to be on the receiving end of service. We don't feel worthy, that's for sure! And, as Christians, we are so attuned to being of service to others.
      I like to think of Jesus' washing the feet of His disciples - the ultimate, humbling act of service. If we can think of this when we ARE being served, we can appreciate it all the more and show gratefulness to those serving us.
      Thank you, as always, for stopping by and praying with me, my friend!
      Blessings ever and always!

      Delete
    2. I loved this connection you made with Washing of the feet. I remember Peter's reaction :P

      THANK YOU for reminding me :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, and such a reaction it was! You, Lord? Wash my feet? No way!
      But, Jesus models for us how to be a servant in love to others. I'm so glad He did.
      Thank you for dropping in! :)
      Blessings always!

      Delete

I Weep

  Jesus wept. ~John 11:35 I weep for hurting souls  Who never saw the coming Of travesty, now mourning The ones who suffered I weep for the ...